Thursday, March 25, 2010

POP MUSIC: NAGAIUTB


The charts. Not as good as they used to be? I thought it was me just getting a bit older. But then Twitch from Optimo sent me this. The Top 10 from a week in 1979.

1. BLONDIE - SUNDAY GIRL


2. ANITA WARD - RING MY BELL


3. MCFADDEN & WHITEBREAD - AIN'T NO STOPPING US NOW


4. ROXY MUSIC - DANCE AWAY


5. TUBEWAY ARMY - ARE FRIENDS ELECTRIC


6. M - POP MUZIK


7. THE CLASH - I FOUGHT THE LAW


8. AMII STEWART - KNOCK ON WOOD


9. QUANTUM JUMP - THE LONE RANGER


And then have a look at this weeks UK TOP 10.


Case closed.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:05 PM

    My initial reaction was damn right! but on reflection most of the songs are fairly generic dance pop, ruthlessly miking the dregs of disco in 1979. while today (week of 12.04.2010) most of the tunes are, well generic dance pop ruthlessly milking the dregs of plastic R and B. Just with even more production. I would rather listen to the 1979 chart for sure, but is that just because they are different to what you hear in every shop, teenagers bedroom, passing car etc etc etc? I am sure some of those 1979 tracks must have driven people crazy back in the day (just like over produced R and B does today)... just a thought.

    ReplyDelete