Friday, March 02, 2007

Ahoy. There's alot of great music out there at the moment so here's a little lowdown on what I'll be listening to this weekend....

1. Zwicker - I get my kicks at nighttime (Lexx Dub)

I missed this when it first came out (shame on me!) but got turned onto this earlier this week on a mix I heard. Headed straight over to the friendly Kompakt mp3 store and made the purchase and feel much better for spending my €1.39 on this little bass led funker.

2. Gui Boratto - Beautiful Life

Whilst I was at the Kompakt store I picked up this little beauty too. The Gui Boratto album Chromophobia is picking up ahuge amount of hype (album of 20o7 already apparently) but my tastebuds were whet by this Flaming Lips / My Bloody Valentine houser of a track. I almost bought the LP just to own this on vinyl (but went against it as there was quite a few other bits out I wanted....). Search this one out though, its great and epic and is really quite life affirming.

3. Yoko Ono - Walking On Thin Ice (Spiritualized Reversion)

All the post punk has gone. And instead all is left is a Spiritualized drone. I'm still not completely cold on this yet but we'll see....

4. Villalobos - Smokes Magical Passes

Shout out to 20JFG for this one the other week but have really become a massive fan of Villalobos recently (again - sorry - I'm late as always) but this, and his remixes of Depeche Mode and Beck really are something else.

5. Hatchback - White Diamond (Prins Thomas Remix)

Noone else has got this as it's on Thisisnotanexit Records! Prins has given me his rough mix and this is something else - nearly 18 minutes long and is so EPIC it hurts. If this isn't played all summer long I'll eat my summer hat as its so so so good. And don't sleep on the original when we put it out either - its a 10 minute balearic disco gem.

6. They Came From The Stars I Saw Them - The Unstoppable Kite EP

Test pressings arrived yesterday - and it sounds AMAZING. Its released on March 26th so get out there and buy it - seriously worth it. A record in this day and age of copycat-ism that sounds truly unique. The Unstoppable Kite has the bassline of the year by the way.

7. Padded Cell - Face Of The Forest

As good as the a-side Moon Menace don't forget to flip the 12" for the b-side Face Of The Forest and a skronking sax-tastic James & The Contortions-esque track that apparently has been played by JD Twitch for the past 2 months. And what better recommendation than that, eh?

8. Force of Nature - To The Brain (Prins Thomas Remixes)

This isn't out until 20th April on Mule Musiq but managed to snag a copy in my local second hand store for a baragin £4! Also forthcoming on Mule is a nice little Optimo Walkabout 12" sampler with exclusive Naum and Twitch edits (ker-ching!) and a 12" from Tim Sweeney and Tim Goldsworthy under the name TNT featuring two tracks called Don't Stop and Endless Flight. Out in May so watch out for that,

9. Partial Arts - Trauermusik

Slow on this one too but purchased FINALLY today - great track, and all about the original mix for me. Deep and emotive techno.

10. Hercules & Love Affair - Classique / Athene

Forthcoming on DFA I can't stop listening to these two tracks - even if it is through the annoying myspace link. Check 'em out. Probably won't be out for 6 months so you'll just have to do what I do and keep the link in your favourites. Great tracks, seriously.

http://www.myspace.com/herculesandloveaffair

Finally, the mix I've done for East Village Radio will be broadcast on March 20th - make sure you listen in:

http://www.eastvillageradio.com/modules.php?name=evrshow&showid=35

No comments:

Post a Comment